While bringing Mom breakfast in bed is a sweet gesture and one to look forward to every Mother's Day, instead of the kids making overcooked eggs and serving them in bed, why not spend the day enjoying the outdoors with this foolproof Mother’s Day meal?
We’ve put together a full meal that you and the kids can put together in your own backyard. Read on to get the full scoop on the perfect outdoors Mother’s Day meal including the main entree, a special drink for Mom to enjoy and dessert!
Mother’s Day Fire Pit Flatbread
This Flatbread with Pancetta and Asparagus is not only delicious, but it can also be cooked on your favoriteoutdoor Fire Pit!
Fire Pit Flatbread Ingredients
- 1 High quality pizza dough from your favorite grocery store
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 ounces pancetta, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 pound fresh asparagus spears, woody ends trimmed
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) shaved fresh Parmesan cheese
Fire Pit Flatbread Recipe
- Oil your fire pit’s grate with a high smoke point oil. High smoke point oils include avocado oil, almond oil, corn oil, canola oil, grapeseed oil, peanut oil, safflower oil, sesame oil and sunflower oil. We used a small pit of peanut oil in a spray bottle
- Light your fire pit. Make sure you create a smaller fire to prevent getting ash on your food.
- Take the pizza dough out of the refrigerator and set down on the counter so it can get to room temperature.
- It’s time to prepare your toppings! Heat a small skillet over medium grill heat. Make sure you have pot holders and tongs because this can get very hot. Add thyme, pancetta, and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes or until pancetta becomes crisp. Stir in 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Punch down the pizza dough, cover it and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Create a floured surface to roll your pizza dough. Roll the pizza dough into a 10-inch circle on the floured surface.
- Place the dough on a pizza paddle.
- Spread your toppings mixture evenly over the pizza dough.
- Arrange the asparagus spears over toppings mixture and sprinkle the top with mozzarella.
- Bake grill the flatbread on your fire pit for about 10 minutes or until the crust is golden.
- Remove from the fire pit grill and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Mother’s Day Cocktail - Strawberry-Mint Sparkler
This Mother’s Day outdoor cocktail, the Strawberry-Mint Sparkler is cool and refreshing - perfect for the outdoors and warm weather. With strawberries in season, it makes it the perfect accompaniment for the Fire Pit Flatbread.
Strawberry-Mint Sparkler Cocktail Ingredients
- 5-7 fresh, sliced medium strawberries (approx. 2 ½ oz)
- 1 freshly squeezed lime (approx. 1/2 ounce lime juice)
- 1/2 ounce simple syrup
- 11 mint leaves
- 2 ounces vodka
- 2 1/2 ounces club soda
- 1 Lime wheel, mint, or strawberry for garnish (optional)
Strawberry-Mint Sparkler Cocktail Recipe
- In a cocktail shaker, combine sliced strawberries, simple syrup and freshly-squeezed lime juice.
- Muddle the cocktail shaker until strawberries are completely dissolved.
- Add mint leaves and gently tap 5 times with muddler. Make sure you do not over-muddle mint because it will taste bitter and muddy.
- Add vodka to the cocktail shaker and fill 2/3 full with ice.
- Shake for about 15 seconds or until well chilled.
- Fill a Collins glass with ice and add the club soda.
- Fine-strain the cocktail mix into the glass and stir gently.
- Garnish the refreshing cocktail with lime, mint, or strawberry, if desired.
Mother’s Day Dessert - Fire Pit S’mores
Fire Pit Smores make the perfect sweet treat for your Mother’s Day outdoor meal. Plus, your kids will love them!
Check out our earlier blog post for to learn how to make fire pit s’mores.
Mother’s Day is a great day to spend quality time and relax with your family in the comfort your own backyard. We hope you enjoy your Mother’s Day outdoor meal! Happy Mother’s Day from all of us at Fire Pit Plaza!
Share this post
- Tags: Camp cooking